Youngstown State University is launching a renewed effort in distance education, introducing seven new online master’s and bachelor’s degrees that students can take from the comfort of their own homes or offices starting this fall semester.
“These outstanding programs are part of a new initiative in what we hope eventually will be dozens of online courses for students seeking alternatives to physically coming to campus,” YSU President Cynthia E. Anderson said. “We are using state-of-the-art technology to design and deliver courses and are committed to offering world-class service from the day students enroll to the day they graduate.”
Programs starting this fall semester are:
- Master of Business Administration
- Master of Science in Engineering Management
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- Master of Science in Respiratory Care
- Master of Science in Teacher Education, Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Science in Public Health
- Bachelor of Science in Applied Science in Allied Health
Millie Rodriguez, director of the YSU Office of Distance Education, said all of the online courses are peer-reviewed and have been approved by the Ohio Board of Regents, ensuring that the programs are well-designed and meet high academic standards.
“These 100-percent online programs carry with them the academic excellence that has been a hallmark of Youngstown State University for more than a century,” Rodriguez said. “The courses will be taught by experienced faculty with practical, real-world experience, will be delivered through easy-to-use technology readily available to students and will be backed by customer service aimed at ensuring student success.”
She said the online programs are ideal for people working full-time, members of the military, parents staying at home with their children and others who need flexibility in scheduling.
Here are more details on each program:
- Online Master of Business Administration, offered through the YSU Williamson College of Business Administration, is designed to increase earning power and career mobility across all major industries and professions. WCBA is accredited by AACSB International. The program is taught by experienced, full-time faculty and is offered in an accelerated two-year format.
- Online Master of Science in Engineering Management, offered through the YSU College of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics, is designed for engineering professionals who need to acquire and develop management capabilities while maintaining their expertise in their technical specialties. The curriculum combines engineering and business courses to develop a well-rounded engineer prepared to manage a technical organization. The program is taught by experienced, full-time faculty and is offered in an accelerated five-term format.
- Online Master of Science in Criminal Justice, offered through the YSU Bitonte College of Health and Human Services, is designed to provide graduates with substantial awareness of the overall system and the essential competencies required to perform professional roles within the criminal justice system. The program positions students to obtain leadership positions upon graduation. The program is taught by experienced, full-time faculty and utilizes industry standard software to prepare students for gainful employment.
- Online Master of Science in Respiratory Care, offered through the YSU Bitonte College of Health and Human Services, is designed for respiratory therapists who desire to enhance their career options in clinical and/or leadership roles within the respiratory care profession. Specialty tracks encourage students to further develop their skill base in education, management, as well as advanced therapeutic and monitoring applications. The program is taught by faculty with practical real world experience.
- Online Master of Science in Teacher Education, Early Childhood Education, offered through the YSU Beeghly College of Education, is designed to provide students with the knowledge and opportunity to grow as an Advanced Teacher and gain the breadth of knowledge, skills and sensitivities needed to be an accomplished teacher, researcher, advocate and leader within the field. The College is accredited by the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education. The program uses the state-of-the-art web-based software Taskstream that students are able to build media rich online portfolios showcasing their learning achievement that they can share with peers, instructors, parents and employers. The program is taught by experienced full-time faculty.
- Online Bachelor of Science in Public Health, offered through the YSU Bitonte College of Health and Human Services, is designed to address the essential core service areas in public health of epidemiology, biostatistics, health services administration, environmental health and behavioral science/health education. The program, designed to be completed in eight semesters, prepares students to become a Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES), which enables them to assess individual and community health needs; plan and implement effective health education and health promotion programs; coordinate and manage the provision of health education and promotion services; effectively communicate health and health education needs, concerns and resources; and conduct program evaluation. The program is taught by faculty with practical real world experience.
- Online Bachelor of Science in Applied Science in Allied Health, offered through the Bitonte College of Health and Human Services, is designed to provide graduates of health care programs the opportunity to gain the added expertise needed to expand their professional roles in the health care system. Graduates with an associate degree in dental hygiene, emergency medical technology, respiratory care, medical assisting technology, clinical laboratory technology or in a medical/health related discipline (for example, radiological technology, physical therapy assistant or dietetics) will be admitted to the BSAS in Allied Health as juniors. So the program can be completed in just five semesters. The program is taught by faculty with practical real-world experience.
Youngstown State University is a comprehensive urban research university that offers nearly 14,000 students more than 135 undergraduate and graduate programs backed by a strong tradition of teaching, scholarship and public service. As a major educational and economic development resource in the region, YSU is known for its focus on academic research and creative programs that transform its students into successful professionals, scholars and leaders. Located in the heart of the Tech Belt between Cleveland and Pittsburgh, YSU provides opportunities for students to actively participate with accomplished faculty, often in one-on-one settings, on advanced research and creative collaborations. Visit Youngstown State University for more information.