Monday, May 7
- Through Friday, May 11. Finals week for the spring semester at YSU.
- 10 a.m. An information session will be held at YSU Metro College in Boardman about the free Shale Exploration Certification class open to Youngstown area residents. More at http://wp.me/p25Ut3-Kv.
Tuesday, May 8
- 12:15 p.m. YSU welcomes the 20th class of Leslie H. Cochran University Scholars in the Chestnut Room of Kilcawley Center. To recognize the milestone, alumni of the University Scholars program will be on hand to welcome the new class. The program, started in 1993 under the leadership of then YSU President Leslie H. Cochran, is a full-tuition, room-and-board scholarship awarded annually to 40 of the best and brightest high school graduates throughout the nation.
Wednesday, May 9
- 5 p.m. Teachers from 29 high schools throughout the Mahoning Valley will be recognized for their participation in YSU’s College in High School during a ceremony in McKay Auditorium in the Beeghly College of Education on the YSU campus. CHS, started six years ago at YSU, allows qualified high school juniors and seniors to earn college credit while taking classes in their home high schools as part of the regular school day. This year, 394 students from 29 school districts are enrolled in nearly 2,600 credit hours in CHS classes; that’s up from 104 students in 12 school districts and 600 credit hours just two years ago.
- Starting at 5:30 p.m. The Alumni Lecture Series presents “Timely Trends in Education” at McKay Auditorium in Beeghly Hall on the YSU campus. A networking session will start the evening, followed by a panel discussion. More at http://wp.me/p25Ut3-KC.
- 6 p.m. Participants in the YSU Students Motivated by the Arts perform in St. John’s Episcopal Church, 323 Wick Ave., Youngstown. Another group of students performs Thursday, May 10, 6 p.m., in St. Patrick’s Church, 420 Oak Hill Ave., Youngstown. More at http://wp.me/p25Ut3-Kt.
Thursday, May 10
- 8:30 a.m. YSU Press Day is held in Kilcawley Center on the YSU campus.
- 4 to 7 p.m. A party celebrating the release of the Youngstown Percussion Collective’s new CD, Forms of Things Unknown, will be at the Lemon Grove Café in downtown Youngstown. Admission is free. The event is open to the public. More at http://wp.me/p25Ut3-KE.
Friday, May 11
- 3 p.m. Wright State plays YSU in baseball at Eastwood Field in Niles. The series continues Saturday, May 12, 1 p.m., and Sunday, May 13, noon.
Saturday, May 12
- 8 a.m. to noon. YSU hosts an Adult Open House, designed for adults 24 years of age or above who are looking to start or return to college, in the Ohio Room of Kilcawley Center. Prospective adult students will learn about associate and bachelor degree programs, adult education, career services, and the on-campus Wee Care Day Care & Learning Center. Free parking will be in the M1 (Wick Avenue) deck. RSVP at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dDU3MmFsU09SSU8ySjFPWElMbFdjZEE6MQ#gid=0.
- Through Saturday. The Spring Graduating BFA Show, featuring work by students graduating in the spring semester from the Department of Art at YSU, continues at the McDonough Museum of Art on campus.