Youngstown State University seniors who have been accepted to pursue graduate studies and employment opportunities at some of the nation’s top universities and companies will participate in an Academic Signing Day Ceremony 5:30 p.m. Friday, April 29 on campus.
“This year’s seniors are heading to some outstanding professional programs and careers, and they’re excited to announce their plans,” said Amy Cossentino, director of the YSU Honors College. “We want to give them the platform to do it properly and celebrate their achievements.”
“The signing event serves to congratulate students and give them a small ‘send-off’ as they continue on to their future endeavors,” said senior James Tancabel of Boardman, who will be attending the University of Maryland, College Park, to pursue a PhD in Mechanical Engineering. “The time and effort the seniors have put into their education at YSU has paid off.”
It is the first such ceremony for YSU. Participating seniors from YSU’s Honors College who will graduate on May 7 will sign a book that will become a historical artifact chronicling the next part of each graduate’s life journey to include both graduate and employment opportunities.
The ceremony is in Fok Hall on the corner of Wick Avenue and University Plaza.
The event follows the 2nd Annual Honors College Recognition Ceremony, which begins at 3 p.m. in the Chestnut Room of Kilcawley Center on campus.
The following are some of the spring graduates who may participate in the signing:
- Nicole Balog of Austintown, Ohio; attending YSU to pursue a master’s degree in Gerontology.
- Kayla Zitello of Boardman, Ohio; attending Carnegie Mellon University to pursue a PhD in Materials Science and Engineering.
- Rebecca VanVoorhis of Canton, Ohio; entering the teaching profession
- Bre Gwirtz of Canfield, Ohio; entering the teaching profession.
- Sam Rakocy of North Canton, Ohio; attending YSU to pursue a master’s degree in Mathematics and Statistics.
- Alana Lesnansky of Youngstown, Ohio; attending Penn State University to pursue a PhD in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology.
- Amanda Shuluga of Campbell, Ohio; attending John Carroll University to pursue a master’s degree in Clinical Mental Health Counseling.
- Camron Bagheri of Youngstown, Ohio; attending the University of Pennsylvania Law School to enter the JD program.
- Gina Mancini of Canfield, Ohio; entering the workforce as a nursing home administrator-in-training at Briarfield Manor Nursing Home.
- Celeste Marshall of Cortland, Ohio; attending YSU to pursue a master’s degree in Economics.
- Lindsey Farran of Canfield, Ohio; attending Saint Louis University to pursue Master of Health Administration.
- Michael Radetic of Youngstown, Ohio; attending Carnegie Mellon University to pursue a PhD in Chemical Engineering.
- Chris Poullas of Hubbard, Ohio; entering the workforce as a hybrid/electric vehicle system engineer at Delphi Automotive.
- Kyle Spikler of Columbiana, Ohio; entering the workforce as an electrical engineer in the Component Prep team of Global Engineering at the Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company in Akron, Ohio.
- James Tancabel of Boardman, Ohio; attending University of Maryland, College Park to pursue a PhD in Mechanical Engineering.
- Luke Johnson from the Bahamas; attending University of Pennsylvania to pursue a PhD in Chemical Engineering.
- Natalie Kelly from Renton, Wash.; attending Youngstown State University to pursue a Doctorate of Physical Therapy.
- Alex Welsh from Austintown, Ohio; attending Youngstown State University to pursue a Doctorate of Physical Therapy.
- Victoria Ferry from Cortland, Ohio; attending Youngstown State University to pursue a Doctorate of Physical Therapy.
- Brandon O’Neill of Lordstown, Ohio; entering the workforce as a project superintendent at Turner Construction Co. in Cleveland.
- Alec Kalis of Austintown, Ohio; pursuing a medical education.
- Ashley Orr of Columbiana Ohio; attending the University of Oxford to pursue graduate study in Economics.
- Alex McFarland of Cedar Rapids, Iowa, attending Youngstown State University to pursue a Master in Economics.
- Jordan Edgell of Turtlepoint, Pa;. attending George Washington University to pursue a Masters in Forensic Science and Friction Ridge Analysis.