Rock n’ roll laser shows that drew capacity crowds earlier this year return to Youngstown State University’s Ward Beecher Planetarium on Friday and Saturday Sept. 20 and 21.
The shows, presented in a full dome laser system called Skylase, feature the sights and sounds of U2, the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and more. The shows, which run 40 to 50 minutes each, are free, but the planetarium is suggesting a $1 donation to help offset the cost of the special programming.
The planetarium expects high demand for the shows and suggests that attendees arrive early. Seating is on a first come, first served basis – no reservations. A queue will be created in the lobby. The planetarium will issue tokens to those waiting in line so that everyone is guaranteed a seat. Visitors from the previous show will exit before seating begins for the next show. Food and drinks are prohibited in the planetarium. Laser shows are bright, pulsing and loud. People who are susceptible to seizures or motion sickness are strongly cautioned.
The schedule of shows:
- Friday, Sept. 20, 4 p.m., and Saturday, Sept. 21, noon and 4 p.m. Laser U2, from the early days through the “Zoo” album.
- Friday, Sept. 20, 6 p.m. and Saturday, Sept. 21, 1 and 6 p.m. Laser Beatles.
- Saturday, Sept. 21, 2 p.m. Laseretro, featuring a radical assortment of 1980s New Wave groups, including The Police, Duran Duran, Depeche Mode and INXS.
- Saturday, Sept. 21, 3 p.m. Laseropolis, featuring songs from the B-52s, Alanis Morrisette, Boston, REM, Nirvana and more.
- Friday, Sept. 20, 5 p.m., and Saturday, Sept. 21, 5 p.m. Laser Vinyl classic rock, featuring Van Halen, Queen, Kansas, Kiss, Aerosmith, Journey and more.
- Friday, Sept. 20, 7 pm.., and Saturday, Sept. 21, 7 p.m. Laser Zeppelin.
- Friday, Sept. 20, 8 p.m., and Saturday, Sept. 21, 8 p.m. Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon.
- Friday, Sept. 20, 9 p.m., and Saturday, Sept. 21, 9 p.m. Pink Floyd: The Wall.