Youngstown State University hosts an Opera Gala, featuring performances by students in the Dana School of Music, at 7:30 p.m. Friday, Nov. 21, in Bliss Recital Hall.
The event is free and open to the public.
“At this event, patrons will hear some of the best young voices the Dana School of Music has to offer,” said Allan Mosher, Dana professor. “A variety of opera selections will be beautifully sung by our students.”
Six Dana students and one recent alumna will perform well-known selections ranging from Mozart to Gershwin to Puccini. Those performing include:
- Victor Cardamone of Apollo, Pa., tenor, senior majoring in vocal and instrumental music education.
- Rebecca Enlow of Salem, Ohio, soprano, senior majoring in vocal music education.
- Sierra McCorvey of Howland, Ohio, soprano, senior majoring in music education.
- Kathleen Bachtel of Massillon, Ohio, soprano, graduate student in voice.
- Anthony Humphrey of New Castle, Pa., baritone, junior majoring in vocal music education.
- Dean LaSalandra of Youngstown, Ohio, bass-baritone, senior majoring in bassoon performance.
Lauren Corcoran, soprano, who received a bachelor’s degree in vocal music education in 2013 from the Dana School of Music, will also participate. She has recently been cast in the leading soprano role of Rosalinda in the Undercroft Opera’s (Pittsburgh, Pa.) upcoming production of Johan Strauss Jr.’s operetta Die Fledermaus.
Refreshments will be provided by the Italian Scholarship League after the performance. Parking is available in the Wick Avenue deck for a nominal fee. For more information, call 330-941-3636.